Monday, December 28, 2009

Finally Inspired

Over the past two months following Twin Cities marathon, I have been running completely uninspired. I don't have a goal on the horizon and have been struggling with a couple nagging injuries. The cold weather and short days don't help either. Today however was a big day. I'm anticipating huge changes from this day forward. My running will soon be resurrected by the purchase of two new items. This is pretty typical for me and somewhat depressing where I need to buy something to spark my interest and motivate me to run. These two new products however are going to change me entirely.

I am a frequent visitor to Bronco Billy's blog. He has been transitioning to minimalist running over the past several weeks. While I don't share the same goal, to become a minimalist runner, I do believe that there is value in running technique and strengthening that goes along with the transition. That being said, purchase #1 today was a slick new pair of vibram five fingers. I went with the black ones. Can't say it was love at first site or feel. There certainly are no style points with these things and I actually struggled to get my deformed toes in the nice little toe shoots. Once they were in, I suppose they felt ok. I ran on the treadmill at FZ for a 1/4 mile or so and decided to purchase them. This evening I did a 1 mile cool down run in them on the snow and ice. Have to say they kind of hurt my feet, but I have extremely wimpy feet from years of coddling. Other than that, it was fun. I look forward to putting in more miles with them. Hopefully can work up to a 10k over the next few weeks. I already run in racing flats quite a bit so I think the transition should go fairly rapid. Just hope my Achilles' hang in there.

My second purchase today was a pair of compression calf sleeves. I wore them around a bit today but think I might have to get a size smaller. I'll report back after I've run in them a couple times. I did receive a pair of compression stockings this year for Christmas and have been using them regularly for post run recovery. I wore them all day at work yesterday and have to say my Achilles felt better than it has in a long time. Probably a placebo effect but it sure was nice not having pain. I think adding calf compression to my running is going to be huge.

I did also purchase a hat today, which is fun to have but not all that inspiring.

So, I now have something to do. Over the next 4 weeks of winter, before I start picking up my training, I plan to strengthen my feet and work on my form in the context of breaking in my vibram five fingers. Should be fun and hopefully inspiring. Perhaps it will even help my injuries.

4 comments:

Jason Robillard said...

I've been running ultras barefoot and in Vibrams for a few years now... they work well once you adapt. My advice- be patient. There are a ton of resources available. If you ever have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them! Drop me a line at robillardj "at" gmail "dot" com.

saschasdad said...

Nice purchases. Do you wear the VFF without socks, or did you have to get injinjis? From what I hear, you may want to take more than a few weeks to work up to 10 k's in them.

The calf sleeves are just going to give you funny tan lines.

Are the Cabas going to be a BadAsses this weekend?

JCaba said...

Jason- Thanks for the offer. Will likely take you up on it as my training evolves this spring. Sounds like your book should be out soon and will also be a good resource.

Saschasdad- After you get married you don't need to worry about stuff llike tan lines. It's all about function. I'm not sure about the injinjis. I ran two miles last night in the VFFs and developed the beginning of a blister on my big toe. Next run I will body glide my foot. If that doesn't work then might try the Injinjis. Katie and I will likely due the Huge Ass or Numb Ass. We're still searching for a sitter.

kcaba said...

So were you thinking I'd do the Huge Ass? It sounds like the best fit for me. How far is it anyway?