Monday, December 7, 2009

Races and Runners World

During this time of year as my body recovers from months of running abuse, I marvel in those who are still training and competing. Over the weekend there were two huge performances by Bendites. I don't have details of either race, but was able to see that Dave Webster ran a 2:57:27 at CIM placing second in his 55-59 age group, and Max King repeated as Xterra World Champion. Nice job to both! Look forward to hearing how the races went down.

On a different note, a funny thing happened the other day. I sat down late in the evening and opened up my new copy of Runners World Jan 2010. I read the articles that interested me, then as per norm, flipped through and looked at all the pictures. I for no great reason viewed a picture on p.96 in a bit more detail. Low and behold, there was Sean Meissner wearing his traditional OUTLAWS singlet and red racing shorts. I thought to myself, that SOB just made it in Runners World. I showed my wife, who muttered something out of jealousy I can't repeat, and kept flipping through the magazine. I then came across this bizarre overhead, wide lens photo of a race start on p66-67. I recognized one of the racers as Michael Wardian and then tried to figure out what race it was. It then clicked that it was the start of the Twin Cities marathon. I knew where I was positioned at the race start and began my Where's Waldo search for myself. Well it just so happens that the lens was just wide enough to capture me, literally on the edge of the page wearing my Rebound singlet. I was then able to find the back of Andy Martin and Ryan Rein's face, who also just snuck in on the edge of the page. A RW debut none the less!

As for my running, I'm back! Sort of. I have been able to run 5 consecutive days with a max run of 6 miles. Still pretty sore but no worse than when I wasn't running. I'll be happy if I can run 30-40 mpw over the winter and then pick it up in February/March. Perhaps a spring marathon is in order... Eugene? Until then I'll let my kids do the racing. Here are a couple pics from the Jingle Bell Run.

2 comments:

saschasdad said...

Dude, you crack me up! That's awesome so many central Oregonians made RW! And I like how you said that the photo was just wide enough at Twin Cities to fit you in...perhaps if it didn't have to be so wide to fit you in, you would have run that sub-2:30!

I'm glad you're back to running again. Enjoy those -5 degree mornings - I'm sleeping in!

JCaba said...

Thanks Sean- not exactly what I meant but nice interpretation:) I failed to mention your NF 50 in my blog. Nice job! Hope you recover well.