Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Farewell Snuggie, Hello Coach

It's official. The Snuggie has been neatly folded and stowed, the guitar has been set aside, and the running shoes have been donned. Weekly miles are accumulating at a maddening pace, currently up to 35! Injuries are slowly healing. The weather is warming. Days are lengthening. Hope is on the rise.

Now back to reality. I'm still out of shape and am reminded of this each time I run with Martin. I remember about 5 months ago when he was rehabbing from injury, how much I enjoyed listening to him breathe hard while I comfortably ran along side. I wonder if he experiences the same pleasure? Slowly but surely things are coming around though. I was able to put a couple of solid runs in the last two weeks without worsening my Achilles pain and am starting to run with a bit more confidence. Now I just need consistency...
Enter Coach Martin. I have officially decided to hire Martin (although haven't paid him yet) to help me along. I figure the top two podium spots in Bend are taken by Max and Martin, but the third spot is up for grabs. I was thinking about all the competition in Bend for the third spot... Dennis, Kluck, Larsen, Violette, Condon, Parsons, Meissner and others that I don't know about or haven't listed. I need an edge, and having a coach just might give me one....

...Plus, I want to be able to fire him at some point.

So, if all goes well I hope to be toeing the line at The Dirty Half, where I'll throw my name in the hat for #3. I have a lot of ground to make up, as most of the guys I listed above are in great shape right now. I'd actually be satisfied with a PR at The Dirty Half, regardless of what the others do. I haven't decided about summer/fall races. Katie and I have talked about running in more trail events at varying distances. I at least need to be present to defend my Lithia Loop Marathon title, however I expect to be thoroughly whipped in that race. At some point I need to run a 2:39 marathon to keep with my goal of running 2 hours plus my age until the age of 60.

For now, I'll methodically train and see where I am down the road. Actually, I think I'll start tomorrow. Hopefully at some point I'll inspire my kids to be active. Who knows, they might actually be fast like their mom.

Ben crossing the finish line in the "Grin and Bear It" 1 mile fun run
jc

No comments: