Sunday, September 27, 2009

Taper week defined

Taper week: (Tay-pur week) Noun

Def: The week leading up to a race where the runner develops illness, phantom pains and progressive injury. A week where his legs feel like tubes of concrete and lungs feel deprived of oxygen. Where heart rate escalates above anything he has experienced in training. Where appetite is maxed and work load decreased. Where a lock needs to be put on the fridge and pantry to avoid eating the entire household food supply. Where weight gain is inevitable. A week where the runner forgets about the hundreds of hours and miles he has put in and only focusses on how crummy he currently feels. Where the runner worries incessantly about the race forecast. Where sleep is reduced to mini naps throughout the night as the mind obsesses about the race.



At least that defines my taper week thus far.



Hopefully things will look up. For now, I am having trouble explaining why I feel so lousy. I
guess all I need is one good day, Sunday. The rest of the week doesn't matter. As many have told me, "the hay's in the barn." Time now to focus on the mental aspect, which is fooling myself into thinking I can run a sub 2:30:00. I actually have somewhat readjusted my goal and will be happy with a new PR (sub 2:36:00). The closer to 2:30:00 the better.

Man I'm hungry. Time to go eat something.

jc

No comments: