Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sharman and Semick Blitz South Africa

Congrats to Bendites Ian Sharman and Kami Semick for rocking the Comrades Marathon today. I watched the livestream video until midnight or so at which time Ian's live results put him around 305th place overall and Kami 4th for the women. There was an occasional video shot of Kami, who looked her usual strong self. I figured she would at least hold her position. I awoke this AM and was happy to see Kami did hold onto 4th, finishing in 6:32:55. I think it calculates to around a 7:02/mi pace. I was absolutely floored to see that Sharman picked off 281 runners while I was sleeping, to finish 24th overall in 6:01:13! I calculated his pace to be around a 6:28/mi. I didn't see many non-African names ahead of him. He beat the likes of Michael Wardian (6:02:36) and both he and Kami crushed Josh Cox (6:51:29), who must have had an off day. I'm very impressed with both runners. Awesome run!

1 comment:

sharmanian said...

Thanks, Jeff. The men always go out really hard so if you're inthe top 100 early on, you're either very, very good or you're heded for a long, painful day. Josh was walking at 37km o go when I passed him and was never on the pace (10 mins off the lead at halfway and I was 20 mins off). He had stomach problems according to the papers but they weren't very kind to him and had never rated his chances. No surprises from Kami, though. She said she'd do 6h30m and she basically did.