Monday, April 19, 2010

Hall, Keflezighi, Deems, Webster

Two big time races over the past two days. American heroes abound. For those who didn't pay to watch the Boston Marathon, it was...strange. Fortunately Andy "Deep Pockets"Martin threw down the $5 cash and brought his computer to my house this AM so we could view it. Like last year, Ryan Hall charged off the line to lead the main pack through the first 8+ miles while the rest of the pack was happy to let him take on the wind and coasted behind him. Merga, last year's winner, then threw down a 4:35 mile and Hall was suddenly dropped, barely visible on the screen. Within two miles he came charging back and took the lead. The other fast guys once again strolled behind his wind shield, running comfortably for several miles. Once they hit the hills around mile 18 or so, Robert Cheruiyot and Merga separated themselves from the pack. It then became a two man race, with Cheruiyot eventually outclassing Merga. Cheruiyot went on to run a course record of 2:05:52 and bounced around the finish area like he was ready to run it again. Merga was overtaken by Kebede, who finished second. Out of nowhere, a resurrected Ryan Hall then again entered the screen and was kicking hard, rapidly closing the gap on Merga for third. Merga had just enough at the end to finish in 3rd, two seconds ahead of Hall. Meb Keflezighi then came charging down the home stretch for 5th. Pretty sweet, 4th and 5th for USA.
DEEMS (Blogger Picture) VS WEBSTER
As sweet as Boston was, it was nothing compared to the Light of Hope 5k. While I couldn't get the live feed on my computer, I did check the results to see who took home top honors. While there was no surprise with Mike Olsen taking first overall, admittedly there was, well, shock seeing Ron Deems and Dave Webster as second and third overall. Looks like it was a battle! Way to go old guy masters! There's a new rivalry in town.
As for me, well I knocked down two maple bars and three cups of coffee during the marathon this AM. I then limped out a 5 mile run and am now eating again. Pretty typical training for me. I should be ready for barbeque season soon.

11 comments:

Dave said...

Jeff, there's no NEW rivalry here! The first time I ran the Bigfoot I had a long opportunity to study the back of the guy in front of me... Ron Deems. Sunday he gave me another opportunity to study his form from behind. He passed me one mile in and pulled away steadily. Folks who did have the live feed (or perhaps were at the race) reported that Ron looked calm, strong and refreshed... but I don't know, I didn't see his face except briefly as he passed me.

Ron Deems said...

Jeff, I agree with Dave, it is hard to be a rival with such a great person and friend. I am happy always to be somewhere near Dave in a race which is usually behind. It was a strange feeling to be ahead of him but he was not feeling well, which usually means he is going to fly, so even stranger. I also was in a strange position for then next mile or so being in the official lead. I have been in races where you can't see the group ahead, but you know they are there, this time, there was no group, until Mike came flying by! Deep down, I was hoping it was Dave, that's how I feel about him!

JCaba said...

I get the point. You two are both good, classy runners giving each other props. On my blog however you are rivals. You despise each other and train only to destroy the other individual on race day. Sorry but that's just how it's going to be:) Besides, I need something to write about.

Ron Deems said...

Ok, I see how it is going to be then. Can I use strategies like Andy at the COCC race, or was that Sean and push Dave off course in the forest to get a lead?

JCaba said...

Whatever it takes Ron. Martin can teach you the stiff arm.

Dave said...

Ron, the stiff arm works only if I'm passing you... And that hasn't happened in a while. But I'll keep it in mind for the next time you pass me! (How was that Jeff? Are we convincing?)

JCaba said...

Now we're making progress, but actions speak louder than words. Let's see it this Tues at TPG. Last man standing!

saschasdad said...

Glad the memory of Martin stiff arming me could be used as a reference here.

I've seen this Webster/Deems rivalry every Tuesday night for months now. Perhaps the Dirty will be the grand finale, cage match, battle royal. Go big or go home. And remember guys, regardless of who wins and who loses, your results can't be anywhere nearly as embarrassing as Caba's DH results. I think he's been First Place Loser something like 3 or 4 times.

Hey Martin, I haven't forgotten.

Andy Martin said...

Sascha's dad - That stiff arm wasn't directed at you. I was aiming for Caba on that one, it was just luck that I happened to clothesline you at the same time. I think the clothesline, however, was more effective as I did prevail over you in that particular race, whereas Mr. Caba has not let me forget who was the victor out of the two of us that day.
Luckily those days are behind us for now and we can focus on our team tactics before the Cascade Lakes Relay!

JCaba said...

sachasdad- you need to view the all time DH top ten list I just posted. Pay particular attention to #10. Sorry to not see your name on the list. Maybe top 50?

Ron Deems said...

You guys are so inspirational in so many ways I can't start to list them. Jeff, you need to Blog about your race predictions for the DH this year. Last year's was great.